Priory Gatehouse -windsocks

Image ID: 14791

Priory Gatehouse -windsocks

Cheapside
Worksop
England

This view shows children using windsocks on 'Springboard Day'. The Springboard initiative was set up with the brief to 'encourage, renew and mobilise the Church for evangelism and mission', and involved every Church of England diocese in the country with various events and activities taking place under this banner. The Priory was founded on March 3rd 1103. An initial grant of monies and lands was made which founded the great Priory by the De Lovetot Lords of the Manor. The Canons of St Augustine were to establish Worksop Priory for the worship of God and the service of the local community and was dedicated to St. Mary & St. Cuthbert. At one time the Priory had extensive outbuildings for the Canons. On the north side of the great church were the cloisters and living accommodation, all built in fine stone. The River Ryton served to bring water first to the Priory Mill on the Canch, then to the kitchens, (where the church hall now stands). It then flushed away the kitchen and domestic waste before being dammed to provide fish ponds on what is now Bracebridge. There were farm buildings, barns and stores, splendid rooms for the Prior, a place for writing and a library. The gatehouse, a tudor addition to the Priory, is considered to be 'one of the most interesting buildings in the county,' which features pre-reformation statuary, a wide late perpendicular tracery window and an unusual projecting wayside shrine to house an image of the Virgin.

Date: 2000

Organisation Reference: NCCN001198

Organisation:

Rate this image:

< Back to Search Results

Comments

Leave a Comment

This image is not for sale

Pinterest LinkedIn Google Plus

Dedicate this image

Dedicate this image to yourself or someone special. Just click "Dedicate" and type a short message to begin.

Dedicate