Image ID: 18563
Courtesy of Mr W Spencer
Beeston Lock
Beeston
Nottinghamshire
England
View looking east from Beeston lock towards Nottingham. The building on the left of the picture is a morgue used for the storage of bodies, victims of drowning in the canal or river and was known locally as the 'Dead House'. Just through the gate the canal bank dips down to almost water level, this was a rescue point for people and horses which had inadvertently fallen into the canal. In the distance the highest building in the block was the Jolly Anglers Inn, the venue for inquests that were held for drowning victims, the building in front of the 'Jolly' was the Inn's stable block for the canal's horses. The 'Jolly' was closed in 1937 when the landlord then opened the new 'Jolly Anglers' on Meadow Road. Just past the pub was the Rylands Mission Hall built 1895 by the daughter of the lock keeper of that time Miss Barker. The other roof tops on the sky line are those of the cottages on Back Lane; sadly the public house, Mission Hall and Back Lane were to disappear in the late 1950's to be replaced with the Longlands Road development. It is unsure when the Morgue disappeared, possibly in the 1940's, incidentally nothing replaced it in that position.
Date: 1900 - 1910
Organisation Reference: NCCS001838
Comments
Leave a CommentPlease login or register to leave a comment
Login Register