Rufford Abbey Park, Rufford Mill

Image ID: 03734

Rufford Abbey Park, Rufford Mill

Courtesy of Reg Baker

Rufford Abbey Park
Rufford
England

Rufford Abbey was founded by the Cistercians in the 12th century and prospered from timber and wood sales. Following its dissolution in 1536, Rufford's extensive lands were granted to George Talbot, 4th Earl of Shrewsbury. The Talbots began the transformation of the buildings from abbey to country house. In 1952, the property was purchased by Nottinghamshire County Council. Rufford is now one of the most popular country parks in the Midlands. The mill is situated at the northern end of the Park. The road to Wellow and Boughton passes on the right of the picture. The stream is Rainworth Water.

Date: 10/03/1978

Organisation Reference: NCCE000338

Organisation:

Rate this image:

< Back to Search Results

Comments

Leave a Comment
S M L

£1

Buy
Pinterest LinkedIn Google Plus

Dedicate this image

Dedicate this image to yourself or someone special. Just click "Dedicate" and type a short message to begin.

Dedicate